Lynn is coordinating efforts to help those in need, specifically in the Florida Keys and Southwest Florida who are still out of power and coping with debris and damage. Many other areas are still assessing the damage and Lynn will offer support to some of those in the coming months.
You can help in three ways: donate funds, collect goods and/or volunteer. (The Center for Student Involvement will organize and confirm additional opportunities as they become available):
Collection boxes are available through Oct. 10 at various locations across campus, including the library, IBC, Dining Commons, for donated items to go to the Big Pine Key Boys and Girls Club and the Southernmost Boys and Girls Club in Key West.
Their greatest needs have been identified as:
- Bug spray
- Cleaning products and supplies (bleach, hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, baking soda, etc.)
- Baby products
- Personal hygiene products
- Non-perishable food items
- Clothes and shoes for children and teens
There are many organizations accepting financial donations. Give to an organization you feel most comfortable with based on your personal preferences.
Volunteer your time with these organizations:
- Sept. 26, 6 - 8:00 p.m.: Feeding South Florida in Pembroke Park
Assist packaging and sorting relief boxes of food, water and supplies for Florida Keys residents
- Oct. 7, 9 a.m.- 1 p.m.: Red Reef Park beach clean-up in Boca Raton
Assist cleaning the beach and mangroves of debris and trash brought to shore during Hurricane Irma.
- Oct. 7, 8:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.: Feeding South Florida in Boynton Beach
Assist packaging and sorting of food, water and supplies for areas affected by the recent hurricanes.
- Oct. 8, time TBD: Habitat for Humanity of Collier County (SW Florida)
This daylong trip to a location in Collier County will focus on debris removal and cleanup of homes and areas that experienced flooding.
Students interested in volunteering, see Stephanie Peguillan, coordinator of student involvement, in the Center for Student Involvement (second floor of the Student Center) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up or to request further information.