By Lorna Fink, University Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator and Charlotte Muriel, Women’s Center Director
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and this year’s focus is prevention.
Did you know that one out of every six American women and approximately one out of every 33 American men either have been the victim of or completed a rape in his or her lifetime? Did you know that college students are three times more likely to be sexually assaulted?
Help reduce the risk of sexual assault:
• Clearly communicate your sexual limits and boundaries, and give your partner a chance to clearly state theirs.
• Stay with your friends. If someone leaves your group, make sure they are okay and are capable of providing consent. If they’re not, or if they’re acting out of character, take them to a safe place.
• Never leave a friend behind.
• If your friend or loved one has been a victim of sexual assault, believe them. Help them tell you what steps they want to take next.
• If you believe you’ve been assaulted or have witnessed an assault, call 911 immediately, or go to a safe place as soon as possible. Other numbers to know are:
Campus Safety +1 561-237-7226
Title IX Coordinator +1 561-237-7727
Confidential Student Advocate +1 561-237-7955
Counseling Center +1 561-237-7237
Health Center +1 561-237-7231
Palm Beach County Victim Services 866-891-7273
Know Lynn’s Safe Ride number:
Save 1-800-675-6349 to your phone. This service is free and available Wednesday through Saturday from 11 p.m.–3 a.m. Safe Ride will pick you up from within 10 miles of Lynn University and take you back to campus.
Take the #ItsOnUs pledge
Visit http://itsonus.org/#pledge and take this pledge: “I pledge to recognize nonconsensual sex is sexual assault, to identify situations in which sexual assault may occur, to intervene in situations has not or cannot be given, to create an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.”
Attend Lynn’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month events:
• April 12, 6 p.m.: Take Back the Night, Perper Plaza
• April 16–20, 11 a.m.–4 p.m. daily: The Clothesline Project, Assaf courtyard